To improve the loading speed of your website, it is essential to take a closer look at the performance of a website. While this is a technical parameter of utmost importance to Google, the loading speed of websites is often overlooked by webmasters.
In this article, we propose to better understand why it is essential to optimize the loading speed of your website. We will also give you some practical tips for doing this.
Why is it necessary to improve the loading speed of its website?
Have you ever surfed a slow website? If so, you have noticed how it is not optimal for the user experience. That’s why it’s important to think about the loading speed of your website:
- If the pages of your website load too slowly, the user experience will be degraded. Users may leave your site early, increasing the bounce rate, decreasing page views, and shortening session times. In other words, the speed of loading a website has a direct impact on its performance.
- You’ve understood: the user experience is not optimal on a site too slow to load. But the impact can also be very negative on your SEO performance. In recent years and even more since the advent of mobile, Google penalizes websites considered too slow.
If you want to improve the user experience on your website to improve conversions and positioning in the search engine is important to you, we recommend that you do not neglect this technical aspect.
Fortunately, there are techniques to monitor and optimize the loading speed of web pages. We propose to take stock of these tips.
Monitor the loading speed of an Internet site
As a first step, we advise you to measure the current performance of your website. There are many tools at your disposal:
Gtmetrix: In English, the free version is interesting, but by taking a subscription you will get more services.
You can use Google’s referral service: Page Speed Insights. With this tool, you can get very interesting data on the performance of your website from a computer or from a mobile. What is also interesting with this tool is that it gives you tips to improve the loading speed of your site. Indeed, it is also an analysis tool: personalized advice will help you optimize the performance of your site.
Optimize the loading speed of a website
Once you know the performance of your website better, you can start the optimization work. Here is a non-exhaustive list of things you may need to work on to make your pages faster:
- Choose a server-side cache system. This technique is very effective if you have pages whose content changes little. But beware: technical knowledge is needed to set up such a system.
- Assemble your CSS into a single external file. This one will be placed directly in the <head> at once.
- Be careful with redirects. Indeed, each time you add a 301 redirect to your website, an additional HTTP request is added.
- If you use CMS WordPress SEO, beware of installed plugins. Indeed, some slow down enormously the loading of the web pages.
Your website is too slow and you want to improve its performance to boost your SEO and optimize the user experience? If you do not have technical skills, we strongly advise you to get closer to an expert. Indeed, the techniques to put in place are complex and require in-depth skills.